Sunday, February 6, 2011

One-handed Tortilla Soup

I admit I'm on a bit of a soup kick.  I made this recipe up, which might be obvious if you are at all familiar with authentic tortilla soup.  I had tortilla soup once, in Mexico, about 10 years ago.  And I think it had chicken in it, which I no longer eat.  So maybe it's not the real deal.  But is it not a hot liquid you eat with a spoon?  Does it not contain tortilla chips?  OK, then.

This soup is awesome because it makes a huge batch (great for freezing), it's vegetarian, it requires almost no cooking skill, and if you can't put down your baby for some reason, you can practically make it one-handed, hence the name.

One-handed Tortilla Soup
1 carton roasted red pepper and tomato soup
1 carton vegetable broth
1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn
Salt, to taste
Throw everything into a large pot on high heat until it boils, stirring occasionally.  Turn down and let simmer for 45 minutes.


When it's done, put some tortilla chips in a bowl and pour the soup over them.


Garnish with diced avocado. The hot soup makes the chips soft and you can break them up with your spoon.  Yum.


Or, if you are a very particular little boy, you might prefer to dip your chips in your soup.


**Variations**
I also like to saute some onion before dumping the rest of the ingredients in the pot.  I love the flavor of onion in soup, but not everyone does.  Also, you need two hands to chop that onion and you'd have to get a knife and cutting board dirty, so it's up to you.  You could also add cilantro or cheese or sour cream for a garnish.  And I hate to say this, but if you're going to complain about it, then go ahead and throw in some cooked chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment