Tuesday, June 14, 2011

30 Days of Creativity: Day 12- Postcard Frames, Two Ways

This is another thing that I've been meaning to do for a long time.  Again, things I brought back from the 2007 trip to Europe, are haunting me, begging me to take them out of my storage bins and display them.  I'm actually really good about not buying a lot of souvenirs while on vacation.  I feel like photos and journals are the best ways to remember a great trip.  If I buy anything, it's rarely a tchotchke that will sit and gather dust.  I like museum prints that I can hang on the wall, or an accessory I can wear, or good chocolate that I can share with people when I get back. However, I somehow end up coming home with a stack of postcards.  They don't take up a lot of space, and they are inexpensive, but I have almost never found a use for them.

When I saw these literary quote postcards in the shop at the British Library, I had to have them.  I bought them with the intention of framing them, but never did.  Yet I never forgot that I had them.  The day I got them was EPIC.


The British Library is really part museum and you can view things like the Magna Carta, handwritten Beatles lyrics, a Gutenberg Bible, and countless original manuscripts by British authors.  It was a spectacular time spent, being in the presence of books and papers that people like Jane Austen or Charles Dickens actually wrote in.

Luckily, I didn't need to go out and buy frames.  Oh, no.  I had been saving these Ikea shadowbox frames for several years.  I kept telling myself if I wasn't going to use them, I should return them.  Ikea is great about taking things back without receipts.  But the day eventually came when I realized I could never return these frames to Ikea because they had been discontinued.


There are two ways to display something in a frame like this.  You can put your picture, or whatever, up against the front piece of plastic or you can mount it further back and try to create a more three-dimensional look.

Here's how I accomplished that:


Accordion-folded card stock for spacers.


Attached to a larger piece of card stock.


Attached to the back of the frame.


I didn't really like the way it turned out.  It was too hard to read the postcard, especially in low-lighting.


Attaching the postcard to card stock, and mounting at the front of the frame, turned out to work better.


Here are the finished framed postcards.  I'm going to hang them in Punky's room with a collection of other framed art.

No comments:

Post a Comment