Thursday, June 23, 2011

30 Days of Creativity: Day 23- Fancy Falafel

Even as a vegetarian, I don't make falafel very often.  It's messy, and after I cook it, the garlic smell lingers in the house for hours.

But I'd love for Boo to eat more of it, because it's a healthier alternative to chicken nuggets and meatballs and hotdogs.  I had been thinking of ways to use the cute little ice cube molds I bought last time I was at Ikea.  I wasn't sure how falafel mix would work in them, but it seemed worth a try.


I smooshed the mixture into the molds making sure to fill every nook and cranny.  


Then I froze them for a few hours, figuring I'd never be able to pop the falafel out otherwise.  And maybe this was a mistake, but I did not level them off because I wasn't sure how they'd freeze and it seemed safer to have some excess on the edges in case I needed to pry them out of the mold.


They came out of the molds easily when I turned them upside down and flexed them a little.  The hearts weren't too interesting.  I did appreciate that this was the first time I made falafel balls that were all a uniform size and shape, though.



I liked the starfish much better.  Incidentally, they looked good to Boo, too.  He ate only part of one, but said he liked it.  The Mister and I ate ours in pita bread with tomatoes, lettuce, onion, and ranch dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment