Sunday, June 26, 2011

30 Days of Creativity: Day 25- The Fastest Birthday Cake in the West

I should probably be ashamed of myself for not trying a little harder when it comes to the kids' birthday cakes.  I took some cake decorating classes a few years ago, and even invested in a bunch of the tools.  I have everything I need to make some fabulous birthday cakes when the time comes, but I just don't have the energy to put into a project of that magnitude.


We drove out to my parents' house to celebrate Boo's birthday this weekend.  We had his last two birthday parties at our house and invited all his playmates, but  this year I just couldn't pull it all together in time.  And I didn't believe that he'd miss not having a big party.  I figured if my parents were going to clean up the house for our visit, mow the lawn, and get out all the toys, the least we could do was bring the food.

We stopped at the Minnetonka Trader Joe's on the way out and bought everything we'd need for lunch, including Boo's cake.  Did you know the Minnetonka Trader Joe's is the second largest in the nation?  If you haven't been there, check it out.  It's divine how much space is in the store.  I was sad to see they don't sell any large pound cakes or angel food cakes, though.  I ended up buying two very small angel food cakes because they were the only "plain" pre-baked cakes I could find.  A large carton of strawberries and a can of whipped cream were the only other things I needed.


It's not even on a real plate.  The horror!


Look, Boo doesn't care that Mommy slapped this together in three minutes!  It's a winner!  And I was a bit shocked that he knew what to do with the candles because we rarely remember to buy them.   Luckily, my mom keeps them around, so it's a good thing we were at her house.

The rest of the day was wonderful.








Boo and Punky loved playing with their cousins and all our old toys, including the metal Tonka trucks that are in perfect condition because we were never allowed to play with them outside.  To top it all off, my dad gave Boo his first fishing pole for his birthday.  He insisted on holding it in the car on the drive home.

The sad thing is that the kids slept all the way home and woke up crabby and SICK.  Even The Mister suddenly couldn't stop blowing his nose. Then, because naps were taken too late, we couldn't get the kids down until almost 10:00pm.  It was a rotten night, with me sleeping on the floor in Boo's room so I could calm him every time he woke up crying and screaming.  It looks like I'm going to be spending the next few days doling out the comfort meds and wiping noses.

No comments:

Post a Comment