Saturday, July 30, 2011

Do You Have The Time (To Listen To Me Whine)?

I'm supposed to be trialing new foods for Punky, right?  We discussed a food trial plan with her GI several months ago, and the idea was to be able to trial a new food three times over a period of 12 days.  If there were no reactions by that time, the food could be considered safe.  I remember thinking, when I heard this concept, that in no time at all we'd have tons of new foods added to Punky's diet.


Here's the problem:

We need to have perfect conditions set up in order to trial a new food.  When that first bite of food goes into Punky's mouth, I have to be prepared, in the event of a reaction, to drop everything in a few hours and drive to the ER.  I have to have someone taking care of Boo (preferably The Mister), a change of clothes packed (because of the vomiting), and several hours at our family's disposal, when The Mister doesn't need to be working or on a conference call or something.

And although I think The Mister's new job is great for him in so many ways, I'm getting frustrated with the amount of travel he's required to do.  When he's gone on a trip, the kids and I are in survival mode, just trying to get through the day without too many melt-downs because I know no one's coming to relieve me at 5:30.  And yes, he feels bad that he has to leave us.  It's rough for him to be away.  But I'm almost mad at him sometimes thinking, "Poor you, having to sleep all alone in a quiet hotel room, or eat dinner all alone (and expensed!) at a restaurant, or read magazines and listen to your iPod on a long flight."  And in the meantime, I'm at home trying to stay ahead of the messes and the tantrums and nosedives off the couch, praying I'll get the kids down early enough so I can at least sit with my feet up and watch a TV before I fall asleep.

So the food trials don't happen as often as they should, and I feel like I'm not living up to my part of the deal.  Maybe I've been too lazy.  I get comfortable with the foods she can have, and it just makes our lives run more smoothly when I give her the same things to eat over and over again.  And honestly, she doesn't mind.  She absolutely loves all her safe foods, especially since most are things she can feed herself.

But I have been told twice, over the last four months, that we should try some meat, either pork or lamb, and see how she tolerates it.  I went to the store and bought pork chops, but haven't figured out the right time to cook them.  Actually, I don't even know how to cook them, so it's going to take more preparation than just dealing with a reaction if it happens.

Stupid pork chops.

Stupid FPIES.

All I can think is that I didn't sign up for any of this.  I know it doesn't help to complain, but it's really not fair.

And that's my whining.  Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment