Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Saga of the Giant Bolster Pillow

We've lost some of our momentum in finishing the projects we've started in the upstairs of our house.  The good news is that the new wood floor is installed in all the bedrooms and the new white baseboards are also up.  The bad news is that our stairs are still a mess of stripped, splintering wood and we can't make up our minds about the proper covering for them.


To take my mind off everything that isn't going well, I decided to tackle a smaller problem.


We have the Chunky Wood Bed Frame from West Elm and it's surprisingly not much more expensive than an IKEA bed frame.  But the headboards at West Elm are as much, or more, than the beds.  That doesn't make sense to me, because a bed is sturdy and has all kinds of complicated supports, where a headboard is just a piece of upholstered or interestingly-shaped wood.  Anyway, we figured we'd have fun making our own headboard or hang a large piece of art instead.


In the meantime, our pillows were falling down the space between the bed and the wall.  Miserable.

What we needed was a bolster pillow.  I found some instructions in the Martha Stewart Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts, and thought it looked simple enough for my sewing skills.  I hit a snag when I couldn't find bolster pillow forms long enough to go across an entire bed.  So I bought a roll of stiff 2" foam to make my own.


The Mister and I rolled it tightly and tied it with rainbow yarn, the only string I could find.  It was either that or duct tape.



It's kind of a mess, but it doesn't matter what it looks like underneath.


Here's the cover I sewed.  I made it from a fitted sheet that had a little tear in the corner.  


As you can see, it's a little lumpy.  But it does exactly what it's supposed to do.


Now we can prop up our pillows for playing with the iPad reading books.


Now I can take my time finding just the right thing to hang on the wall above the bed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment