Sunday, November 6, 2011

The End of October (with some grainy iPhone pictures)

Things have gotten pretty wild around here, so I haven't been consistently blogging.  Here's a little household update.

I've decided to make a quilt.  I've never made a quilt, and it never occurred to me until recently that I might want to try it.  I found this tutorial for a small chevron quilt and thought it looked like something I could handle.  I'm now in the process of cutting out little fabric triangles with my new rotary cutter, the coolest tool ever.  

It's such a tedious process, but sometimes, if I'm really lucky, I get to work on it during the day while the kids play trains and watch Thomas.  It makes me so happy to use our basement like this, because I always envisioned it as a multi-purpose crafting, playing, movie-watching area, but didn't know if it would ever work out that way.  Too often, we use parts of the basement for "storage" of piles of stuff we can't find another place for, and then we just can't enjoy being down there.  


We had such a low-stress Halloween.  Boo didn't want to wear a costume.  Punky loved the cow costume we got her, and wore it occasionally around the house, but not for very long on Halloween night.  The Mister  needed a creative outlet and made some Angry Birds jack-o-lanterns that were a big hit with the trick-or-treaters.  We had plenty of Dum Dums lying around because that's what we give Boo when he uses the potty, so we didn't even need to buy special candy.  In fact, one of our neighbors came over to hand out goody bags with candy, pencils, stickers, etc, so in the end, I think we got more candy than we started with.  

The Mister and I were lucky enough to get a date night the other week and we decided instead of going to a restaurant or movie, we wanted to check out the Walker Art Center, which is free on Thursday nights.  It turned out to be a great choice for us, because we haven't gone there much after having the kids and we have really missed it.  There is a new exhibit, "Graphic Design: Now In Production" that we enjoyed because it was all logos and typefaces and screen printing and fun stuff like that.  We spent so much time in that area, that we never even got to the other exhibits, which is a shame because I wanted to see John Waters' "Absentee Landlord", but that's all the more reason to go back now.  We did, however, go wandering up the stairs to the Skyline Room.


The room was completely empty (what do they normally use it for, anyway?) but it was softly lit and we had the most gorgeous view of the Lowry Hill area, the Basilica, several highways, and the rest of downtown.



We just took it all in for a few minutes.  Watching the cars, wondering if they could see us...


It seemed like a shame to waste a great opportunity...

To DANCE!





After that, we went to Gather, the restaurant at the Walker, and found out that we were still in time for Happy Hour so we had a glass of wine and some french fries with aioli.  It was an absolutely perfect date night, except for the fact that we had to leave too soon.  

As I'm sitting here writing this, I realize that it's only seven weeks until Christmas and instead of panicking, I'm looking forward to the challenge of streamlining things this year.  We've begun a process of trying to get rid of things we don't need so we can make our lives less complicated.  The Holidays are a great time to see if we can really get by with less.  

1 comment:

  1. Love this post and your mission to simplify and declutter. I just wrote in my journal about something similar. Hope you will take before and after pictures!

    ReplyDelete