Sunday, March 18, 2012

Kitchen Update

The kitchen update you've all been waiting for...sort of.  

We are not done with the kitchen yet.  I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be one of those never-ending projects, like our stairs, which were supposed to be finished by Memorial Day last year.  But things are in working order, even if I have to close my eyes to avoid some of the unfinished ugliness every time I walk into the room.  


Here's the east wall and window.  The cabinets and counters are completely in, even though the toekicks at the bottom have to wait for the new flooring.  


The under-cabinet lighting is something I never dreamed would be so awesome.  I can actually see what I'm working on!  Check out this vintage Cosco kitchen stool.  I had my heart set on a bright yellow one and found that you can buy new ones online through Target.com and a lot of other retailers.  But I found this one on Craigslist for $20.  I may try to recover the seat and back someday, but they are in great shape so its not urgent.  


There's a lot more room in my new drawers.  And they are so quiet.

 The new microwave is gargantuan; at least two times larger than we'd ever need.  But it's off the counter so it practically disappears.  


The sink area needs more work.  


I love my cool new faucet.  The end pulls down and turns into a sprayer.  


 Here's my new backsplash tile.  I suddenly started seeing a hexagon/honeycomb pattern everywhere and even started a Pinterest board with some designs I liked.  It's a little trendy at the moment, but the style has been around forever and I don't think we're going to get tired of it.  I'm so excited to see it up on the wall.

  Choosing the flooring has been a big pain.  We want some linoleum, but we're still trying to find a good deal using some of The Mister's contacts.  The old vinyl flooring is still in the kitchen, but with more scratches and paint splatters than ever. 



  At least I can let the kids make a mess in there now.    


And, at last, we have some progress on our stairs.  There are still a few trim pieces missing, but we finally figured out how we wanted to cover the treads.  


We got FLOR carpet tiles, cut them in half, and nailed them down.  The style is "Sweater Weather" in gray, which we liked because it looks (and feels) like walking on a giant cable-knit sweater.  Also, it provides a nice camouflage effect for Siamese kitties looking for a place to nap.  

With our early Spring this year, I'm getting nervous that outdoor projects and activities are going to take attention away from finishing the kitchen.  The two weeks The Mister took off work for the kitchen renovation were great, but now we have to figure out how to find time during the evenings and weekends when the kids have us exhausted.



No comments:

Post a Comment