Monday, October 29, 2012

Monday Morning Roundup 10.29.12

Happy Monday!



It's not even Halloween yet, and we are already eating way too much candy.  In this case it started as a bribe so I could cut Boo's hair, but Punky wanted in on the action, and then convinced me she needed two lollipops "because I'm two."

I was driving around by myself on Saturday and heard part of a radio interview with Tracie McMillan, who wrote The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table.  I have it on reserve from the library and can't wait to read it.  Not only do I love reading books about the food industry, I can't resist a good undercover expose.  Has anyone read this yet?

Imagine what it's like for a deaf person to hear music for the first time.  This story is cool for a lot of reasons, but the thing that struck me was that this guy's friends immediately introduced him to the classics: Beethoven, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc.  If it was up to you to present someone with a sample of the most excellent music in existence, where would you start?  I can't stop thinking about this.

You just have to try typing karaoke.  You just have to.  And if you do it at work, where other people can hear you laughing hysterically, I want to know about it.

I sometimes let myself fall down the rabbit hole at McSweeney's.  One reading just leads to another and, lately,I've seen a lot of pieces about parenting young children.  "Mom Takes Children's Songs Literally" really ticked my funnybone.

And for my serious link today, I encourage you to find out RIGHT NOW if you are registered to vote, to find out where your polling place is, and then take a look at a sample ballot so there are no surprises on election day (the judges and school board members get me every time).  Minnesotans can do it here. Are you still undecided? Check out VOTE411.org (a non-partisan site from the League of Women Voters) and put in your address.  You'll get a list of all your candidates and links to find out and compare where they stand on all the issues.  No excuses, people!

That's it.  Have a nice week!

No comments:

Post a Comment