Monday, March 11, 2013

Monday Morning Roundup 3.11.13

Happy Monday to all of you!

I'm doing something different for my Monday Morning Round-Up today because I didn't find a lot of great things to link to this week.

Instead, I went through the house and gathered up all the books I've been reading in the last few weeks.  There is no rhyme or reason to how I choose my books.  My purpose of reading, especially in the winter months, is to escape the gloominess, de-stress, laugh, or be inspired.  I'm somewhat at the mercy of whatever is available at the library or thrift store, so I always read a random mix.  Also, I like to have a few books going at the same time, in different parts of the house, to pick up whenever the mood strikes.



These books are pure eye candy.  Perfect for thumbing through in bed after a stressful day.


Vivian Maier, an amateur street photographer, kept her vast collection of photos so private that it was only by accident that they were discovered in a storage locker after her death.  She excelled in capturing little moments of humanity in the busy Chicago streets.


Scott Schuman is a street photographer/blogger who focuses on fashion.  He finds people young and old, ugly and pretty, all over the world, who have unique style.  



These are both laugh-out-loud funny memoirs by smart female TV writers.  While there are a few meandering childhood stories in both, they are satisfying with juicy stories of behind-the-scenes hijinks at 30 Rock, SNL, and The Office.  I was struck by how normal these women come across as.  Their success stories are similar in that they came from supportive families, worked hard in school, and paid their dues working low-paying jobs until they got their "breaks."  I wanted to be BFFs with both of them after reading their books.  



Also a memoir by a woman who worked in television, I couldn't group this book with the two above because Melissa Gilbert was born into fame.  And she's not funny.  I'm not very far into the book yet, but it looks like there might be some promising stories about her teenage fling with Rob Lowe.  I think the real reason I was interested in this book was because last year I read Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim, who played Nellie Oleson on LHOTP.  Now that was a tell-all.  So I guess I'm interested in finding out what Melissa Gilbert has to say about going through many of the same experiences.



Here's my reasoning for picking a book that's so macabre: every winter I like to read some of the Little House on the Prairie series, especially The Long Winter because it's a survival story and it makes me feel like I'm living in relative luxury and safety.  Wow, LHOTP is apparently an obsession of mine. I thought I would change it up this year and read another, similar story.  Except this one is way more depressing.  Still, I'd recommend it if you are at all interested in regional history of Minnesota and the Dakotas.  I came away stunned that not only did this freak blizzard come along and wipe out thousands of settlers on the prairie, but that the pioneers had so little for shelter in the first place.



 Both these books reside on my nightstand because they can be read in little bits at a time.  I thought I had read all of David Sedaris' books, but when I started going through this one, nothing looked familiar.  I just love him.  I love how, after you've heard him talk, you hear his voice in your head as you read and it makes every story even funnier.  Chuck Klosterman is not for everyone, but he philosophizes about pop culture and that's what I'm into.  Coincidentally, he's another person who has an immediately recognizable voice.  I've gone to a few of his readings and he's always entertaining.  

No comments:

Post a Comment