Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Cut The Rope Birthday Cake (30 Days of Creativity)

Day #22

Boo has been talking non-stop about a Cut The Rope-themed birthday cake for at least six months.  I enjoy decorating cakes, even if it's extremely time-consuming, so I gave it a try.  I didn't get pictures of every step because I was working so hard to get the darned thing done in time.  


The cake is made with two Cherrybrook Yellow Cake mixes, that I baked earlier in the week and stuck in the freezer.  The first layer of frosting was a homemade buttercream made with Spectrum palm shortening and powdered sugar.  And the fondant was the marshmallow fondant I made a day earlier and colored with India Tree natural dyes.  The design for the cake is just the icon for the Cut The Rope app on the iPad.  I printed out a picture to copy, but did the fondant-cutting freehand.  


I blurred out Boo's name on the side of the cake for privacy, but you get the idea.  


The hardest part was doing the gradient color for the background and the white highlight on the piece of candy, but I'm so glad I made the effort because it adds another dimension to the picture.  "Om Nom," the frog, really should've been outlined in black, but I was running out of time and had to stop. 

I'm happy with the way it turned out, even though I was up past midnight working on it the night before the party, and the entire thing was eaten in 15 minutes the next day.  Isn't that how it goes with birthday cakes, though?

No comments:

Post a Comment