Thursday, June 13, 2013

Gluten-Free, Peanut-Free Cookies (30 Days of Creativity)

My Day #10 project isn't exactly new, but I tweaked a recipe I've used before.  


I got a recipe for gluten-free peanut butter cookies, and immediately thought of using sunflower seed butter instead, for allergy safety at my house.  Even if my kids don't eat the cookies, it wouldn't be a good idea to bake something with peanut butter in them and risk cross-contamination.

The thing about most sunflower seed butter, is that most brands have sweeteners added, making them similar to creamy, processed peanut butters that I can't stand (Jif, Skippy, etc.).  So I've been playing around with the recipe, decreasing the amount of sugar and adding a gf flour for filler.  The original recipe had no flour and was just great, but I thought the dough could have used some thickening.


So my new, improved recipe is:

2 cups sunflower seed butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup millet flour (or any gf flour you like)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla


Drop the dough in balls, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and smoosh with a fork.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.  You won't see any change in color or shape, so it's hard to tell when they're done.  When they come out of the oven, don't touch them.  They almost disintegrate when they are still hot, but become crunchy when cooled.  


To me, a true fan of peanut butter, these are as close as you can get to typical peanut butter cookies, while being safe for people avoiding peanuts and wheat.  You could even put (nut-free brand) chocolates on top at Christmastime.  Am I right in thinking that's a Christmas-only cookie?  That's the only time my family makes them.

No comments:

Post a Comment