Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Marshmallow Fondant (30 Days of Creativity)

Day #21


I had to prep Boo's birthday cake ahead of time to have it ready for his party.  He wanted something elaborate, and I didn't feel comfortable using commercial frostings with all the hydrogenated oils and food dyes.  So I followed this easy recipe for marshmallow fondant.  Fondant isn't my favorite thing to eat, but it's almost Play Doh-like to work with and makes beautiful cake decorations.  


I had to make several colors for the design and I used a natural food dye I got at Whole Foods.



I'm just going to come out and say it: a box of three dyes costs $17.  I'm not one of those people that never ever lets my kids have food dyes (you know, the ones with the numbers after them) but I like to have a natural alternative whenever possible.  If I'm careful, there's enough here for a couple years of decorated cakes, and that seems worth the investment.  We'll still use the cheap synthetic dyes for non-edible craft projects and Easter eggs.



No comments:

Post a Comment