Thursday, September 3, 2015

Thrifty Thursday: Another visit to the downtown Salvation Army store

I've been looking through my old posts and stats and my top-viewed blog post of all time is the one about the downtown Minneapolis Salvation Army thrift store.  So I took another trip there the other day to see if it was still the Island of Misfit Target Goodies that is the Twin Cities worst-kept secret.



The storefront looks just as crappy as ever.  I like to think this is a repellent for the first-timers who drive up and think,"This can't be the place."


So the first thing I noticed, when I got into the "as-is" basement is the giant fans.  This place is notorious for it's year-round hot, stifling basement, and it looks like they're really trying to increase the air circulation.  


There's even this...what is this?  It blows your hair back, and your skirt up from about 10 feet away.

Anyway, on with the shopping.


It's the time of year for Halloween costumes and the selection here is actually pretty good.  Every Disney princess was represented, as well as a bunch of action heroes, plush animals, and pirates.  The prices seemed to be about 50% off of what you'd pay at Target, and these are all brand new, unworn costumes.  I did see a few flaws or missing pieces, so it's important to inspect before buying.  


So much Halloween decor, if that's your thing.


I saw more craft items than I've seen here in the past.  Here's a Cricut Mini for $60.  I have no idea what you do with a Cricut, but I know scrapbookers are crazy about these things.


As the Back To School stuff starts to get cleared out of Target stores, a lot of it gets dumped here.  If you're looking for notebooks, planners, organizers, right now is a good time to shop the Salvation Army store. 


I took a look in the back room where the new furniture is.  I always see a lot I like here because it tends to be small, modern pieces.  Sometimes it's samples from Nate Berkus and Threshold, or any of the other designer brands Target carries.  This console table was $60, though.  I'm not sure that qualifies as a spectacular deal.


The kitchen appliance area is amazing as always.  If you're looking for a Crock-pot, electric mixer, coffee maker, or blender, you can pick one up here for much less than at the store.  Just make sure you test it before you buy it because there are no returns.


I saw an entire shelf of bread machines for $15, which was tempting even though I don't mind making homemade bread the old-fashioned way.


The home decor aisles were more bare than I've seen them in the past, but I noticed a few nice pieces.  Again, this is where you can find samples of the brands Target collaborates with, sometimes things that haven't even made it to the stores yet.


 The thing that intrigued me the most was this unmarked mid-century light fixture.  I'm still thinking about it, but probably won't go back for it because the last thing my house needs is another project. This is going to be an great score for a lucky someone.

You notice I didn't take pictures of any clothes this time.  One thing I've noticed over the years is that there will be a ton of things in some sizes, but not others, and the prices aren't really any better than you would find on the clearance rack at Target.  I still think this is a great place for shopping for baby and toddler clothes, but the selection for older kids and adults is pretty lame.

1 comment: